Purpose: The position of junior high math teacher is an opportunity to have significant academic impact at a well established, well respected Christian education institution. Joining the team at Isaac Newton Christian Academy will allow the candidate to work with 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students to help them understand mathematics as an insight into the Creator and His purposeful design in our world. This position offers a candidate the potential to unite a commitment to authentic spiritual training with a dedication to academic excellence, and a passion for teaching mathematics.
The junior high mathematics teacher will teach five sections of math to students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. The teacher is also responsible for teaching a Bible class to his/her assigned homeroom group of students.
Hired by: The Board of Directors of the Linn Christian Education Association and the Head of School
Reports to: The Head of School
Supervises: The students assigned to his or her care
Evaluation: Annual written evaluation is provided by the Head of School
Type of Position: Contracted, exempt employee that is paid on a salaried basis
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate:
- The ideal candidate will have a life that honors God completely in his/her personal and professional life. This person believes the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, authoritative, inerrant Word of God, and is the person’s standard for faith and practice
- The ideal candidate believes and actively supports the school’s Statement of Faith.
- The ideal candidate demonstrates a desire for spiritual growth as evidenced by his or her prayer life, Bible study, and spiritual outreach to others.
- The ideal candidate has at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in education and/or mathematics, and possesses a strong background and training in teaching mathematics to students in junior high and above.
- The ideal candidate has a desire to mentor junior high students, and desires to motivate them to accept God’s gift of salvation. The ideal candidate desires to be a Christian role model to students in order to help them grow in their faith.
- The ideal candidate has a valid State of Iowa teaching license, and holds ACSI certification, or is willing to participate in a program to complete the requirements for ACSI certification.
- The ideal candidate has a thorough knowledge and understanding of the Christian philosophy that will help in providing leadership and guidance in the school’s development of and commitment to a Christian worldview. The ideal candidate has a desire to integrate biblical principles and the Christian worldview throughout their lessons and activities.
- The ideal candidate demonstrates a level of computer literacy, having a proficiency in classroom technology, including interactive whiteboards, document readers, word processing, Power Point presentations, using a spreadsheet, e-mailing, and accessing the Internet.
- The ideal candidate will be committed to supporting and working collaboratively with the existing faculty of Isaac Newton Christian Academy.
- The ideal candidate will display friendliness and a good sense of humor, and will display courtesy and patience in dealing with others.
Expectations of Isaac Newton Christian Academy Junior High Math Teacher:
- The junior high mathematics teacher will continue to ensure that a rigorous and relevant math education is a product of effective learning, which takes place when standards, curriculum, instruction, technology, and assessment interrelate and reinforce each other.
- The junior high math teacher will have a conviction that God has called him or her to Christian school ministry, and will reflect the purpose of the school, which is to honor Christ in every class and in every activity. The teacher will maintain high standards of ethics, honesty, and integrity in all personal and professional matters.
- The junior high math teacher will teach classes as assigned following the prescribed scope and sequence as scheduled by the administration. The junior high math teacher will plan broadly through the use of trimester plans and objectives, through accurate and thorough lesson plans, and through the school’s curriculum guide. This planned program of study, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students, challenging them to do their best work.
- The junior high math teacher will understand supervision and how to lead in a positive manner. This means the teacher will provide a good learning environment by keeping proper discipline in the classroom.
- The junior high math teacher will participate in continuous professional development through professional reading, college course work, in-services, workshops and conferences.
- The junior high math teacher will follow the Matthew 18 principles in dealing with conflict with students, parents, staff, and administration.
Process of Candidacy:
If after reading this opportunity profile, you sense the gifts and experiences God has given you are a good initial match for Isaac Newton Christian Academy, we invite you to begin the inquiry process. We handle all candidate information and conversations confidentially. You may contact Dean Ridder, Head of School, at any stage of the process to obtain more information and to ask questions (contact information below). We are moving forward in the discovery and search process for Isaac Newton Christian Academy’s next full-time junior high mathematics teacher. The targeted start date is July 1, 2015.
Please provide the following documents and responses for review:
- A completed application (available on our school’s website: www.incaonline.org)
- A current resume
- A copy of your State of Iowa teaching certificate and ACSI certificate
Submit this information to:
Isaac Newton Christian Academy
Dean Ridder, Head of School
1635 Linmar Drive NE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Download Full Job Description
Posted on Thu, March 12, 2015
by Emmaus Bible College filed under